Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Vegetarian Lasagna with Meat

I. Am. So. Full.

So full in fact, that this blog post is going to be much shorter than I originally planned. Because I can barely move.

And by that I mean I'm going to be too busy shoveling another piece into my face.

Quick backstory. I saw this recipe for Slow Cooker Spinach Lasagna on my Aunt Becky's Facebook wall about a week ago. It seemed like a GREAT idea...that is until I realized my slow cookers had gotten left behind in Wisconsin when I moved. No problem! I'll just adapt the recipe to regular lasagna.

Ingredients
1 16 oz container of ricotta cheese
1/2 cupish real parmesan cheese
1 egg
1 envelope of Lipton Recipe Vegetable Mix
-----
1 lb of ground turkey
1 jar of your choice of spaghetti sauce
1 can of diced tomatoes
-----
1 container for fresh mushrooms
2 large stalks of celery
1 chunk of diced onion
1 bag of frozen spinach (defrost and squeeze out remaining liquid)
-----
12 lasagna noodles (I used whole wheat noodles)
An unidentified amount of shredded mozzerella cheese

Because I've been trying to eat SUPER healthy, I try to pack in LOTS of veggies. I hit the produce aisle once a week at the grocery store to keep everything fresh. I added the ground turkey for the protein since I'm doing some pretty intense cardio workouts lately.



Here's what you do...


1) In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, the egg, and the Lipton mix. Set aside.













 2) Brown ground turkey in a frying pan. Add various delicious Penzey's spices. Add jar of spaghetti sauce. Add can of diced tomatoes.










3) At a same time, throw a little olive oil into another frying pan with onion. Add mushrooms. Add celery. When veggies are nice and colorful, throw the spinach on top.









4) Add veggie frying pan to meat/tomato fry pan.












5) Don't forget to boil your noodles sometime.











Do you see my layers?
This made me two 8x8 pans. One I'll eat now. One is going into the freezer. Spray your Pyrex container with Pam Olive Oil before layering.

6) Put down a layer of noodles.
7) Put down a layer of meat/veggie mixture.
8) Put down a layer of ricotta mixture.
9) Sprinkle on mozzerella cheese.
10) Repeat as necessary.





I threw it into the oven at 400ยบ for about 20 minutes.















Take out of oven. Use oven mitts. (Just a friendly reminder because you're going to be so excited to eat this.) Eat. Enter food coma.
Thanks for reading. I need to go eat some more. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrea! You won my giveaway!! Head over to my blog to my About Me page for my email address so I can get you shipping info.

    Congrats!

    xo Lisa
    Making Life's Lemons

    ReplyDelete