Monday, November 19, 2012

This time last year...

One of the great things about writing a blog is that you're always thinking about your next topic. One of the more difficult things about writing a blog is finding time to sit down and actually write out the thoughts in your head. I came across a picture on Facebook today that had this quote on it, "This time, last year...everything was so different." And I started thinking...I know it was different, but what was exactly going on?

Thank you iCal for keeping track of my life when I can't.

November 19, 2011. I had just finished rehearsing and conducting the orchestra for Reformation. I was in the process of dating a guy who just randomly stopped calling and was about to start dating another who too, would also just randomly stop calling sometime in January. In honor of the royal wedding (and fancy hats in general) my friend and I decided to wear fancy hats to the company Christmas party. I was getting ready to go to a Badger game the following Saturday that I ended up going to with my brother and sister and FREEZING out butts off. I went to see the ever popular Lorie Line with my younger sister and experienced her Christmas extravaganza for the first time ever. I had recently agreed to run and train for a half marathon that my hip decided it didn't want to run. I was just two months shy of turning 28 and was desperately trying to put myself out there, convinced that if I did something positive would happen.

Ah, yes. If life only went according to plan.

November 19, 2012. 27 Brewers games. 2 Badger footballs games. Sending a friend to Hong Kong for a year. Meeting up with a friend from a lifetime ago (or just seven years). American Idol concert. Ingrid Michaelson concert. Two un-run half marathons. A completed 5k and 15k and triathlon. 2 new quilts made (thank you first ever quilt retreat). On and off Broadway musicals. Company Christmas party coming up. Concert in Chicago to look forward to. I'm just two months shy of turning 29...and I'm not even sure how to end this sentence. So...life, fairly the same...Andrea, fairly different.

28 has not been what I thought it would be. If I'm being honest, I'd say the majority of it has been quite the roller coaster. Several friendships have morphed and changed over the last 10 months. Some relationships have morphed and changed over the last 10 months. I have morphed and changed over the last 10 months.

I've probably learned more about myself in the last 10 months than I was expecting. Let me try that again. I wasn't expecting to learn what I learned in the last 10 months. And about life. And about relationships. And about people. And about love. And about friendship. Because the more I learn...the less I know.

So...what have I learned...I know...heavy question for 11pm...I'll have a bit of a go at it anyway.
- It's what you do after the mistake that matters. Move forward.
- People aren't perfect. And they make mistakes. Forgive.
- Some people require more patience than others. Be patient.
- Shopping can cure a multiple of ailments. Buy shoes.
- If at first you don't succeed, change your plan or you'll get the same results. Be persistent.
- Fighting with people you love is stupid. Apologize.
- Today's tv isn't as good as TGIF. Full House.
- There's a special bond between cousins. Cherish it.
- You can do anything you put you mind to. Forge ahead.
- A real man will buy your drink. Thank him.
- Things will happen when the time is right. Have faith.
- Pretty packages sometimes hide troubled insides. Be cautious.
- Just because something doesn't follow everyones else's rules doesn't make it wrong. Break rules.
- Ice cream will go straight to your hips. Frozen yogurt.
- Life doesn't always go as planned. Have flexibility.
- Life can't always be planned. Be spontaneous.
- Sometimes people will catch you off guard. Be surprised.
- I would rather try and fail then to always wonder. Go for it.
- You can always return it. Buy them (the shoes that is).
- You are right where you need to be at this very moment. Relax.
- It's better to be real than fake. Laugh loudly.
- Time isn't a guarantee. Love boldly. And without regret.

1 comment:

  1. Your first two sentences hit the nail on the head. My main goal for after school tonight is to blog. And for the record, the first thing you've learned is very valuable. ;) <3 you!

    ReplyDelete