Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 16...Guilty Pleasures...

I love a good guilty pleasure...and let's be real, who doesn't?

I saw Pitch Perfect tonight with two good friends from work. There was such a great variety of different songs and genres that were mashed up together. (Check out the soundtrack on iTunes or Amazon.) One of the songs that the girls sang was "Party in the USA" and I have to admit, this is one of my musical guilty pleasures. It's just so much fun to sing. And be honest...that first weekend of the summer where you can roll down the windows and crank the music, don't tell me you wouldn't enjoy this!


As long as we're being honest, I have a confession to make. This is currently my other guilty jam pleasure...


Yup. Bieber. I know, I don't know what's happened. 

You know what though? I love singing. And I love dancing. And just letting go and having a good time. One of my favorite things to do with my girlfriends is just go and have a great time dancing to a good cover band. I can't tell you the number of times that we have gone out and just had fun and people thought we were completely annihilated ..just because of the fun we were having. We're not irritating or anything, we just love to dance. About a week ago a friend and I were going to go out for a drink. We got to where we were going and just sat in my car singing and dancing to the radio. So. Much. Fun.

Isn't that important? Surrounding yourself with the people with whom you can truly be yourself? We spend so much time trying to fit in and avoid people thinking that we don't fit in. Think about it...it's so hard to be just who you are, especially since we spend so much time trying to figure out who that is. We all learn about ourselves at different times and through different experiences. I think this is one of the reasons I enjoyed the Ingrid Michaelson concert so much. She was so odd and quirky and herself that it became socially acceptable and made the rest of us feel at ease with ourselves. Ironically as I was typing this paragraph the song that she closed the concert with came on over my Pandora Ingrid Station. It was actually the closer to her encore. Listening to everyone sing this with Ingrid was probably my favorite part of the concert. 



To find someone with whom we can truly be ourselves...isn't that what we're all looking for?

"You and I"
Written and Performed by Ingrid Michaelson
Turner Hall Ballroom (Milwaukee, WI)
Lyrics from http://www.ingridmichaelson.com/music/songs-lyrics/you-and-i

don't you worry there my honey
we might not have any money
but we've got our love to pay the bills

maybe i think you're cute and funny
maybe i wanna do what bunnies do with you if you know what i mean

oh lets get rich and buy our parents homes in the south of france
lets get rich and give everybody nice sweaters and teach them how to dance
lets get rich and build a house on a mountain making everybody look like ants
from way up there, you and i, you and i

well you might be a bit confused
and you might be a little bit bruised
but baby how we spoon like no one else
so i will help you read those books
if you will soothe my worried looks
and we will put the lonesome on the shelf

lets get rich and buy our parents homes in the south of france
lets get rich and give everybody nice sweaters and teach them how to dance
lets get rich and build a house on a mountain making everybody look like ants
from way up there, you and i, you and i (2x)

No comments:

Post a Comment